Dating someone in the arts is no cake walk: in general, artists don’t really tend to be “salt of the earth people.” They can be moody and insecure, their work life can be volatile, they stay out late, they often don’t make money, they can be a little eccentric, etc., etc., etc.
So why would anyone in their right minds want to date one? Here are ten reasons.
1. They will always have a friend who’s in a show, or having a reading, or playing a gig, or showing in an art gallery.
Which means you constantly get to go on cool, interesting dates.
2. Artists often get paid nothing, but the amount of free booze at these things almost makes up for it.
And everyone in the arts knows at least one bartender willing to give free drinks.
3. People who work in the arts often have relatively free/strange schedules.
Lots of late nights, yes, but also lots of randomly free weekdays for impromptu trips or day dates.
4. Artists are a fairly welcoming, accepting bunch.
You think your parents are weird? You haven’t been to art school.
5. People in the arts are used to partying late into the night after a show or gig, no matter how early they have to get up the next morning.
In other words, they’ll never be ready to go home before you are.
6. They’re not repressed.
Given that they’ve devoted their entire life to the expression of human imagination, you can be pretty confident that someone in the arts is pretty in touch with their feelings.
7. Isn’t it everyone’s secret wish to inspire a song or a painting or a character in a book?
It’s not gonna happen by dating a banker.
8. They tend not to be high maintenance.
Someone in the arts is used to long hours and little pay and slices of pizza scarfed down at 1 am and rehearsing in hallways and commuting by bus and doing things on the cheap. And they know how to have fun in otherwise cramped/boring/uncomfortable situations.
9. People in the arts tend to have pretty good taste in music, books, art, etc.
So if you’re lacking in the aesthetics department, they can make you (or your apartment) look good.