While in London recently, I met up with British dating blogger Emma to discuss the differences between dating culture in our countries.
Though both London and New York are similar in many respects, dating in these two metropolises could not be more different.
Because so many American girls are closet anglophiles I had Emma put together a quick list of tips for snagging a Brit. (After all, Prince Harry is still single…)
Here are Emma’s tips:
5 Things To Know If You Want To Date A British Guy
1. Most British men enjoy three things:
1. Sport (particularly football or rubgy)
3. Drinking beer whilst talking about sport.
If you want to date one, either be prepared to talk about it (brownie points for this) or understand that if you go out with his friends this is what they will talk about. If neither of these options appeal, you might have to make concessions in your dating schedule.
2. British men love a dry, witty sense of humour. Don’t be put off if they use this on you. Their straight talking “taking the mick” style of conversation is what is known as “banter”. If you can enjoy good “banter” with them, you’re already winning them over.
3. They love it when you have your own thing going on. British men like their women independent and able to challenge them every now and again. That said, avoid being too militant. Don’t shy away from vulnerability. Remember, British men are descended from a culture that bore the knights of the round table. Allowing yourself to be the damsel in distress appeals to their sense of chivalry.
4. Don’t forget your p’s and q’s! British men are big on manners. Someone who is polite, measured and remembers to say please and thank you is a princess worthy of their heart.
5. British men aren’t renowned for their immaculate style like the Italians are but they really do appreciate a sense of style even if they don’t know what label or designer it’s from. A woman who knows how to dress will score highly.
Emma on UK vs US Dating
I also asked Emma about general differences between American and British dating. Hear her talk about British dates, the importance of alcohol, and her favorite London date experience.
Click here to read Emma’s dating adventures in London. [And read Emma’s interview with me on American dating practices here.]