I’ve started dating again (for the first time?). And I’m doing it in earnest. Going on a few dates a week and trying to keep an open mind about meeting new people.
Now there’ve been dates when I’ve come home, turned on an approximate Taylor Swift song and dreamily danced around my bedroom. Fantastic dates where the guy makes me laugh, gives me butterflies and makes me stare at my phone, willing a text from him to come through.
And then there are the other dates. The ones filled with verbal minefields. The ones where I know, simply from the things he says, that we are not meant to be.
And so, without further ado, I present to you the 8 worst things said to me on a date:
1. I don’t go to restaurants where the menus aren’t in English.
2. I think the subhead of your dating profile should be “I’m probably taller than you.”
3. I just don’t like cultural things.
4. I go home every weekend so my mom can do my laundry.
5. I really like Nickleback.
6. Star Wars is overrated.
7. Women who own cats are odd.
8. I usually get my girlfriends to clean my apartment. So you should be prepared.
What’s the worst thing someone’s ever said to you on a date?
Joy Engel lives and works in Portland, Maine where she tweets far too much and solves the occasional murder-mystery while riding around on a bicycle. Everything she writes is her personal opinion and does not necessarily represent the views of her employer or its clients.