Kiss & Tell: 10 Curious Stats About Kissing, Social Media, & Breakupsby Marla Pachter on July 31, 2013
It’s easy to get lost in the Internet k-hole of The Book of Odds, compendium of all things statistical. But you don’t necessarily have time for that, do you? So, we pulled together some of their most interesting facts about social media, breakups, and kissing — all potential fodder for your hump day happy hour chatter:
12% – Of cell phone owners have reported breaking up with someone via text message.
8% – Of cell phone owners have reported being broken up with via text message.
Almost 1 in 4 – Facebook users learned that their relationship was over by seeing the news posted on Facebook.
27% – Of internet users 18 or older believe the worst way to break up with someone is through a family member or friend.
30% – Of internet users 18 or older believe the holiday season is the worst time to break up with someone. January is actually the most popular break-up month.
67% – of men don’t mind if a woman wears lipstick when kissing.
53% – of women prefer a clean-shaven man when kissing.
33% – of people open their eyes while kissing.
96% – of women love to be kissed on the neck. In fact, it’s a woman’s favorite spot to be kissed, other than the mouth.
10% – of men like to be kissed on the neck.
Bonus: Unusual Kiss Traditions:
• The Trobriand Islands kiss: The natives there groom each other, pull little twigs out of each other’s hair, and then they do a 3-step procedure—they begin by biting each other’s lower lip very vigorously, and then they pull their partner’s hair, and finally they nibble off their partner’s eyelashes. It’s a status symbol there to have short eyelashes, because it shows how popular you are.
• The Eskimo kiss: Most people think it’s just rubbing noses, but it’s actually an 11-step procedure which includes pressing your nose into your partner’s cheek and inhaling while making a smacking noise, without kissing, to the side of your partner’s lips. What they’re doing is inhaling the (hopefully delicious) scent of their partner.
More Like This:
- The 11 Reasons Why We Fall in Love With Someone
- BDSM: A Breakdown By The Numbers
- What Do Men Think When Women Say They Don’t Want Kids?