Hey, girl. Breakups are the worst, right? Let’s minimize recovery time with a 5 step plan.
1. Accept. Accept that your relationship is over and give yourself the green light to move on. Take a minute every day to look in the mirror and say, “I’m getting over this breakup.” Does it feel dumb? Yep. Does it work? Yes ma’am. By affirming out loud, we reinforce our intentions on the subconscious level.
2. Set a Deadline. Breakups are hard. Things didn’t turn out the way you expected and its okay to be sad/ angry / upset. Give yourself a couple of days or a week to feel the pain. Eat ice cream, have a good cry, stay in bed watching The Wonder Years in its entirety. But once you hit that deadline, time to get in gear.
3. Get up! Go to the gym, blast some Gaga (Marry the Night) and empower yourself. You can do this! Endorphins are effective and jogging even 20 minutes a day is enough to keep you feeling positive. And sticking to a work out structure can give you a feeling of control over your life.
4. Get Out. Going out may be the last thing you want to do with a broken heart. Definitely avoid any clubs or dives. Get some girlfriends, get made up and head to the nearest gay bar. It’s hard to feel like you’ll never find love again with 10 sassy men screaming about how fabulous you are.
5. Do you. Make a list of everything you want to do in your life no matter how big or small. Could you start on something now? Hip Hop dance class? Book club? Knitting? Fill up your time with projects you’re genuinely interested in. Studies show that focusing our time and energy tends to make people happier. Whereas daydreaming leads to dissatisfaction.