Attraction

Women With Better Body Images Have Better Relationships

Pin it

Hands on the belly, isolated on white background

As a woman, not every day is a Ya-Ya!, Lean In,”Mmm I love this Yoplait cheesecake yogurt!” day. In fact, most days (regardless of your age, weight, or relationship status) can feel like a death-march to the mirror in the morning only to find a crypt-keeper like reflection staring back.

A new study from Tallinn University in Estonia reinforces our suspicions that the happier women are with their bodies and physical appearance, the happier they are in their relationships.

In her research, Vatter collected data from over 250 women between the ages of 20 and 45, 71.5 percent of whom were living with a partner and the other 28.5 percent were married. The subjects were surveyed on their relationship satisfaction as well as their body weight, self-esteem, body image, self-consciousness, and their history of dieting.

Vatter found that “women who felt good about themselves and how they looked were more likely to feel good about the state of their relationship, indicating how happy women are with their physical body impacts how happy they are with other various aspects of their lives.”

We know what you’re thinking, “Of course, it’s easier to feel good about yourself when you’re in a relationship with someone who Eskimo-kisses your love handles and tells you your farts are cute, instead of having your body feedback be from randos at the bar grunting, ‘I’d hit it’ before sending over a blowjob shot. And you’d be right. But I’m choosing to take from this the underlying message that if you’re happy with yourself you’ll be happier in all aspects of life. Call me Tiny Tim, but I’m feeling sentimental.

In other fantastic news for the holidays, Vatter found “women who had previously been on a diet or being on diet during data collection were less satisfied with their body weight, weighed themselves more often, were more self-conscious and had higher BMI’s than women who have not been on a diet.”

You’re telling me that by living a well-rounded life and indulging in moderation, you can be happier than by systematically restricting yourself from all of the things that you love then that is a Christmas miracle.

[h/t All Voices]

Image via Veer

Plus