This week, Ben Pomeroy is sharing his favorite recipes for when you’re cooking for a vegan date and you don’t know what to serve. Previously: an eggplant caviar appetizer and a veggie pasta entree. Today: dessert, naturally.
Baking without butter, milk, or eggs? No problem. You won’t miss any of that stuff in this really easy-to-make dessert that’s all decadence.
1 cup of soy milk
1 1/4 cup of flour
2 teaspoon of vanilla
2 teaspoons of baking powder
8 oz of bitter sweet baking chocolate
½ dozen fresh strawberries
2 oz dark rum or sweet liquor
Pinch of salt
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Pre-heat oven at 350 degrees.
1) Break up and melt down all chocolate at medium heat.
2) Add soy milk and vanilla. Stir until it looks like thick chocolate milk.
3) Mix in flour, pinch of salt and baking powder.
4) Stir until it becomes thick batter.
5) Pour into pre-greased baking pan.
1) 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
2) Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Prep: 5 min
Cook: 10 min
1) Slice strawberries
2) Place in pan with rum or sugar water
3) Let simmer at medium heat for 10 minutes.
4) Fruit should retain its shape but be sticky and soft.
5) Serve on top of cake.
Food images courtesy of Ben Pomeroy
Read more from Ben at BK + MTL Kitchens.
More like this:
- Help! I’m Dating a Vegan And I Don’t Know What to Cook
- Two Easy, Gourmet Recipes for Your Next Camping Date
- 10 Disasters in the Kitchen: Lessons Learned from Cooking for Love