What Your Bookshelf Says About You To A Dateby Kevin Armento on June 27, 2012
There’s a great and very important moment in every relationship — and Kindle be damned, it’ll stay that way — when you bring a guy or girl to your place for the first time…and they peruse your bookshelf.
Are they judging you based on what they see? Yes — oh yes. And what will your books tell them about you? These generalizations will explain all:
David Sedaris, David Rakoff, and Sarah Vowell: You’re probably witty, you definitely lean left, and you’re likely to own a few tote bags.
Lots of Chuck Palahniuk: You’re into some kink.
Multiple John Grisham’s: You’re enjoyable enough, but kinda repetitive and you probably have a boring name.
Alice Munro and Raymond Carver: You’re quiet by nature, but intriguing if people take the time to get to know you.
Battered copies of Lord of the Rings and/or Chronicles of Narnia: You enjoy afternoons drifting off to other worlds, and have bouts of social awkwardness. You’re a total freak in bed.
Prominently featured first-edition philosophy collection: Pretentious alert!
Well-worn Austen and Bronte: You think men aren’t what they used to be. If you’re a dude, you’re trying to impress the ladies.
Related: 12 Books To Attract 12 Types Of Guys
Unadorned stack of Hemingway: You can handle your liquor, and you’re almost definitely a good lay.
Some combination of David Foster Wallace, Nick Hornby, and Salinger: You’re at least a *touch* neurotic.
Bukowski, Hunter S. Thompson, Dorothy Parker: You buck authority; long-term commitment with you is totally risky.
Flannery O’Connor, Don DeLillo, Cormac McCarthy: You get moody and dark after sex.
Any four of the following: Da Vinci Code, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Eat Pray Love, My Sister’s Keeper, The Hunger Games, The Kite Runner: You go with the trends. Or you mostly buy books in airports.
- What Your Drink Says About You On a Date
- What Your Food Says About You on a Date
- What Your Taste In Music Says You About You On a Date
- What Else Your Taste in Music Says About You On a Date
- What Your Bra Says About You on a Date
- What Your Favorite Sex Position Really Says About You
- What Your Sports Team Says About Your Dating Style
- What Your First Date Location Says About You
- What the Night of the Week Says About Your Date
More reader favorites:
- 20 WTF Engagement Photos
- The 9 Most Annoying Things To Say To A Single Person
- 9 Things They Don’t Tell You About Dating an Architect
- 10 Reasons to Date Someone in the Arts
- 10 Things That Are Attractive About Guys and Girls With Glasses
- 23 Reasons to Date a Midwesterner
- How to Propose to a ‘Settlers of Catan’ Fan
- Why Women Look More Like “Girlfriend Material” in the Fall
- 25 Most Romantic Stories and Photos From ‘Humans of New York’