When you’re single, it’s easy to be thankful for your job, your health, your family and friends, pet, and rent controlled apartment … but your dating life? Ehhhhhhhh.
The holidays can be a tough time to face alone. (And really, Thanksgiving is a cakewalk compared to the doozy that is the month of December.)
But if you force yourself to think about something you’re grateful for about your dating life, as dismal as it may currently seem to you, you might be surprised at what you can come up with. Because, yeah, you’re single now — but maybe next year you won’t be. And at some point, impossible as it may seem now, you might look back on your crazy single life with fondness.
I pestered a bunch of my friends on GChat and Facebook and had them tell me what they’re grateful for about their dating lives this Thanksgiving. After the nearly universal reaction of “Oh god, seriously?”, they all managed to spurt out great quotes, some funny, some sincere.
- “I am grateful for a reason to drink during the week!”
- “I am thankful for my ability to know who isn’t right for me, and to not just throw myself into something that is shallow at its core.”
- “I am thankful that I raised my ‘number’…it was a little too static there for a while.”
- “I’m thankful for learning how to make layers sexy, which is really helpful in winter.”
- “That I’ve learned *how* to date. Like, I feel like I know what I’m doing now. It took a while. But I still don’t know how to flirt.”
- “That I get to try out new restaurants that I’ve wanted to but haven’t had a chance to.”
- “I am thankful that I can recognize that there’s no such thing as perfect but just because people screw up doesn’t mean they’re not worth, at the very least, your friendship.”
- “I’m thankful I don’t have to spend Thanksgiving with a boyfriend’s family this year.”
- “I’m thankful for all the flirty GChats and text message conversations I had this year, that really made the work day fly.”
- “That I know when and how not to take rejection personally.”
- “An excuse to dress well. (I wear crap to work so usually look like a slob)”
- “I’m thankful I’m single during the holiday season. All those open bar parties!”
- “I am thankful that I am no longer dating an asshole.”
- “That while my on-again, off-again office romance ultimately didn’t work out, we a) gave it a shot (better than not knowing, right?) and b) came out of it as friends, with minimal awkwardness for us or for our coworkers.”
- “I am thankful for the fun gossip I provide for my friends.”
And one more, from a friend I thought was single, but isn’t anymore…
- “I’m thankful I finally met someone I like so much that I’m not even embarrassed to say we met online. (Yeahhh, I’m in a goopy place.)”
More on Thanksgiving and Dating: