Yesterday the Sunday Times broke some news that has shaken chick-lit lovers the world over: Mr. Darcy, Bridget Jones’s dapper, brilliant and devoted love interest, is dead. The series’ author Helen Fielding revealed the shocking, macabre twist via published excerpts from the new book, Mad About the Boy, which will be published next month. Bridget Jones is 51, widowed with two children, and lamenting the loss of her beloved Mark Darcy.
Fielding’s publisher says that the Bridget Jones of 2013 is more modern and relatable to those of us who grew up on her quirky romantic hijinks. The third novel finds her texting (do 51-year-olds know what sexting is?) a pretty young thing, 29 year-old Roxter.
Bridget Jones and Mr. Darcy fans everywhere are incensed. Authors, celebrities, and politicians took to Twitter to lament the news. How dare Helen Fielding toy with our emotions like that? What kind of name is Roxter, anyway?!
The upshot (IF THERE IS ONE) is the potential for a reprisal of this gem:
RIP Mark Darcy. We will miss your sexy monotone, your Christmas sweaters, and your passion for human rights law.
- The Darcy Effect: Why Two Centuries Later, Mr. Darcy Is Still The Man
- There Is a Giant Inflatable Mr. Darcy Floating in London’s Hyde Park
- Pete Campbell as Mr. Darcy: The Photos. The Reviews.
More Reader Favorites:
- What Your Taste in Music Says About You on a Date
- What Your Favorite TV Show Says About You On a Date
- What Your Drink Says About You On a Date
- What Your Favorite Ice Cream Flavor Says About You On A Date
- 20 WTF Engagement Photos
- The 9 Most Annoying Things To Say To A Single Person
- 9 Things They Don’t Tell You About Dating an Architect
- 10 Reasons to Date Someone in the Arts
- 10 Things That Are Attractive About Guys and Girls With Glasses
- 23 Reasons to Date a Midwesterner
- 10 Things They Never Tell You About Marrying a Chef
- How to Propose to a ‘Settlers of Catan’ Fan